Litter Information! Be informed about our practices!
The German Shepherd Dog suffers from many health issues such as hip and elbow dysplasia, spondylosis, degenerative myelopathy, bloat, and torsion. Because of this, Marcato Shepherds thoroughly screens and studies the bloodlines of all dogs used in the breeding program.
As a general whole, we sell four "types" of dog:
- Pet: A dog that does not meet the structural or aesthetic criteria as laid forth by the American Kennel Club German Shepherd Dog standard. There is nothing inherently wrong with the dog. It just may have a disqualifying fault (such as improper coat color) or a fault severe enough to prevent it from finishing in the show ring. The dog is still capable of being an active happy member of the family.
- Show prospect: These are dogs 8 weeks to 12 months old that at the time of sale do not have any disqualifying or serious faults that would prevent them from finishing. They are not deemed show quality because so much changes between 8 weeks and 12 months. It is acknowledged by us that these puppies may not turn out as hoped.
- Finishable: A dog 12 months or older that has no disqualifying or serious faults and would be able to finish in the conformation ring if given time and proper handling/conditioning.
- Performance: A dog that exhibits good drives in various areas and would be happiest in a home that was willing to train it in various venues of sport (agility, tracking, herding, etc).
We will not send puppies to their new homes before 10 weeks of age.
- The dog is guaranteed to be free of congenital hip and severe elbow dysplasia for 28 months
- The dog will pass OFAs with a minimum of OFA Fair for the hips, or a replacement puppy will be offered at no charge with the exception of any shipping charges (buyer has the option of keeping the affected puppy).
- It is mandatory for all Marcato bred puppies to be OFA'd at the age of 24 months (2 years) and no later than 28 months, regardless of what the puppy was purchased for (show, performance, or pet).
- Leash walking
- Crate training
- Foundation of basic obedience
- Vet checked for any congenital defects
In order to qualify for a Marcato German Shepherd Dog puppy, we require the following:
- A completed puppy application form (will be provided to you after initial inquiry)
- A fenced yard or other suitable outdoor containment
- A non-refundable deposit of $200 with the balance of the puppy due before it heads to its new home.
- The understanding that breeding these dogs is the result of intense study of bloodlines and health on our part, and we do not sell them to the first person with money in their hand.
- Puppy brokers
- Large scale kennels
If you wish to have your puppy shipped, please be aware of the following:
- All shipping expenses are the responsibility of the buyer.
- Airlines have temperature embargos, and thus animals may only be flown in certain temperatures, which can delay the delivery of your puppy.
- The puppy will arrive with a veterinarian's certificate of health (required for the dog to be able to fly), as well as their registration certificate and a puppy packet.
- Given registered names using a theme. This is in order to keep track of all the puppies from each litter. You will be allowed to choose from a list of preselected registered names, though you may call the dog anything you like.
- Registered online BEFORE they are sent to their new homes.
- Location of the stud dog (in house vs. across the country)
- Method of breeding (natural vs. artificial insemination)
- Availability of bloodlines (some bloodlines are more valuable than others)
Strong preference is given to performance/working homes and junior handlers. Discounted prices are a possibility for juniors. We wish to kindle a love for the breed and all that it does through new, young handlers.